Monday, July 25, 2016
1) Thank you!!! To all the students for their great attitudes, intensely hard work, and resolve in one of the hottest Band Camps I have ever been a part of! To the parents for providing lunch for the staff, water for the students, and just overall support for myself and the students! It was a hot camp, but it was a great camp - getting us a great head start into a marching season with great possibilities.
2) Rehearsal this Tuesday from 6-8 pm inside for Percussion and Guard. Rehearsal this Thursday from 6-8 pm for Everyone.
3) Please get your Band fees in if you have not already. We have props, repairs, and many other things that need to get paid for in the next couple of weeks.
4) Keep selling your smart cards also. This gives us a great start to the year and allows us to go ahead and pay for things (such as State Competition charter buses) as soon as possible instead of waiting until the last minute.
5) We will again be selling the Band shirts to students, family and friends. Youth sizes are available. So are the different kinds of shirts. Short sleeve shirts will be $10 a piece, Long Sleeve shirts will be $12, Sweatshirts will be $15, and Hoodies will be $20. I will have sign-up sheet in the Band room. You can also let me know by email what you would like. (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Posted by SGCHS Hornet Band at 11:06 AM
Sunday, July 17, 2016
1) Be on the practice field at 7 am every day this week. Be prepared for the heat. We will go inside if and when it becomes dangerous, but until then we need to get as much done as we can. Every band in West Tennessee will be out on their practice fields at the same time as we are, so we can all bask in the fellowship of Marching Band in July!
2) Please get in your second payment of $100 for Band fees this week. We will need to pay the staff and order a few things to have them ready by the first competition. If you are unsure if you have paid any of your fees yet, ask either director and they will tell you.
3) Every year, the student leadership team comes up with theme days for each day of Band Camp to help make it a little more fun. Here is what is on tap this week:
Marvel/'Murica Monday - wear your favorite Marvel character attire or come dressed patriotically. And don't forget your pet eagle - "Freedom".
Time Period/Tye Dye Tuesday - wear your favorite decade (or 1800s) attire, or simply wear a great Tye Dye shirt.
Walt Disney/Water Wednesday - wear your favorite Disney attire and don't forget your swimsuit if you want to participate in the water activities at the end of the day, such as water balloons and water kickball.
Sectional Pride Thursday - the students will be wearing their section T-shirts. . Everyone is also invited to Game night on Thursday night. It will be from 6-9 pm in the Cafeteria. Bring your favorite board game or be ready to play someone else's.
Fiesta Friday - wear your favorite Spanish/Latin theme clothes and colors!
Posted by SGCHS Hornet Band at 5:37 PM
Wednesday, July 13, 2016
It's time for our first fundraiser of the year - Smart Cards! These are discount cards that we have sold every year that have tons of coupons and discounts from local merchants. The students received the smart cards today during camp.
They are $20 each; you easily make that money back when using even a small portion of the coupons. For SGCHS Teachers, they get a discount of $10.The fundraiser goes from now until August 5th. By that point, they need to turn in all the money and/or any cards that have not been sold.
Posted by SGCHS Hornet Band at 9:05 AM
Sunday, July 10, 2016
1) Rain or shine, Band Camp is here! All Freshmen, see you at 8 am in the Band Room on Monday. All Percussion and Guard, see you at 1 in the afternoon. The rest of the upperclassmen - see you at 8 am in the Band Room on Wednesday.
2) I need volunteers to provide lunch for Band Camp staff next week, the 18th through the 22nd. If you want to pick a day to provide lunch, or go in with someone else and work together, let me know I will sign you up. You will need to provide a main meal, any sides, and dessert for 11 staff members. The drinks, plates, napkins, and plastic ware are already provided.
3) Please make sure you are prepared for hot weather. Gatorade and water, sunscreen, snacks, sunglasses, hats, tennis shoes for marching in. You cannot march in flip flops or barefooted.
4) Remember to eat breakfast, bring your horn and music, and bring a pencil.
Posted by SGCHS Hornet Band at 11:32 AM
Tuesday, July 5, 2016
1) The Leadership Team will meet this Thursday the 7th at 8:00 am in the Band Room to get everything ready for Band Camp next week.
2) Band Booster Meeting this Thursday the 7th at 6:30 pm in the Band Room. We will be looking at plans and ideas for the Fall Semester.
3) Freshmen and Leadership Team, we look forward to seeing you all next Monday the 11th at 8 am in the Band Room! The rest of the Percussion and Guard, see you the same day at 1 pm!
4) Start investing in sunscreen, water containers, gatorade, and bug spray.
Posted by SGCHS Hornet Band at 1:11 PM
Sunday, June 26, 2016
1) Last Summer Rehearsal this Wednesday!
2) Freshmen Guard and Percussion: Notice that on the first week of Band Camp, you will need to be there all day in the morning and in the afternoon. In the morning to learn fundamentals, and in the afternoon to learn your specialized work/music. I know it's a little confusing when you look at the calendar and dates, so just keep this clarification in mind.
3) FYI: Walmart has 10x10 canopies for sale at $47, which is a good price on those things. If you want to get one or already have one, you can bring it to Band Camp and set it up at the practice field to provide shade at breaks.
Posted by SGCHS Hornet Band at 2:10 PM
Sunday, June 19, 2016
1) Rehearsal this Wednesday!
2) Please let me know if you can house 1 of the 2 band camp staff that need a place to stay the full week of band camp. They live more than an hour away and it would really help them out to have somewhere to stay that week. They would be at the school from 7 am to around 5 pm every day, and only need a place to stay at night.
Posted by SGCHS Hornet Band at 6:48 PM