Monday, May 18, 2015
More info about the DCI trip, especially for the parents of new members of the 2015 Marching Band: DCI is short for Drum Corps International. Drum Corps are essentially "professional" or "All Star" marching bands. There are dozens of Drum Corps around the country and anyone between the ages of 13-21 can audition for any of the Drum Corps. These students then spend the entire summer practicing and performing at competitions, culminating in the World Championships at Lucas Oil Stadium (where the Indianapolis Colts play). We will be traveling to Murfreessboro on the afternoon of the last day of Band Camp to watch 8 of the top Drum Corps compete. This is a completely optional trip, but one I highly recommend. We took a group last year and had a great time. For more info about Drum Corps, go to DCI.org, or simply search for Drum Corps on Youtube.
Posted by SGCHS Hornet Band at 8:41 PM
Sunday, May 17, 2015
1) On Monday, there will be a sendoff at 2:30 for the Softball Team and Sam Wehner as they head toward the Spring Fling State Tournaments. The Band will be a part of that sendoff in the gym by playing the fight song and a couple of "Ye Olde Standards" such as Also Sprach and Hey Song. All Band students, including those not in class this semester, are welcome to bring your instrument and play at this sendoff.
2) There will be an introductory design committee meeting this Tuesday at 6:30 pm in the Ban Room for those parents interested in designing and building the props for this year's field show.
3) Student information sheets will be passed out this week and will need to be turned back in by Thursday. If you are not in class, come by the band room and pick those up off the table. Also, try to get in those parent info sheets by Thursday as well.
4) I am putting together a sign-up list for the DCI show on July 24. I am giving the option of making the bus ride optional. If you want to get yourself up there or travel as a family, you can still purchase the tickets through the band and we will be able to sit together at the event. If you want to ride the charter bus, you will need to pay $40, which is probably as much gas money as you will use to get up there anyway. Cost for the tickets are $20 a piece. By Thursday, I will need to get a close estimate of how many plan on riding the charter bus(es) so that I can go ahead and reserve those.
5) If you still have your uniform at home from the Strawberry Festival, please bring those in this week so that we can them in inventory!
6) Remember that the first summer Rehearsal is June 3. If you have not picked up your field show music for next year, come by the Band Room and get it.
Posted by SGCHS Hornet Band at 6:32 PM
Sunday, May 10, 2015
1) Baccalaureate service this Tuesday at Chapel Hill Baptist Church at 7 pm. Report time is 6:15 at the church in concert attire. This is a volunteer only performance. That being said, we need some more volunteers to sign up!
2) Graduation is Thursday at 7 pm. Report time is 6:15 pm in the Band Room in Concert Attire. This is a required performance.
3) Drumline: The Relay for Life event is this Friday. We will lead the Cancer Survivors around a half lap at the Medina City Park by the Middle School. Report time will be 5:15 at the park. We will wear our Band T-shirts with Khaki shorts and tennis shoes. Sunglasses and hats are fine.
4) Congratulations to the Band for winning the Strawberry Cup at the Strawberry Festival. Since they are retiring this Cup for a new one next year, we get to keep this one! Great job representing the school at this huge event. I heard from many people about how great you looked and sounded.
5) Leadership interviews will be this week.
6) Drum Major clinic will be Monday after school, and the audition will be Tuesday.
7) Parents, it is time to get the Parent info forms in if you haven't already. I will be updating the email list and begin (already) putting the logistics together for the Hornet Invitational.
Posted by SGCHS Hornet Band at 5:54 PM
Tuesday, May 5, 2015
Strawberry Festival Parade
Friday, May 8, 2015
7:45 am Report to SGCHS Band Room. Load equipment. Put on uniform pants, long black socks, and shoes (make sure your shoes have your name on them). Wear shorts and T-shirt underneath. Put uniform jacket and gauntlets on a hanger to put on bus with your hatbox.
8:15 am Depart South Gibson County High School.
8:45 am Arrive at Bailey Park. Put your jackets on, then unload instruments. We will walk to our designated warm-up area.
9:00 am Warm-up.
9:30 am Parade begins. Be sure to represent the band and SGCHS with professionalism.
When the band finishes the parade, students will put instruments back in cases, put full uniform on the hangers, and then load the instruments on the bus. After everything is taken care of satisfactorily, you will be dismissed to enjoy the parade and eat lunch. Make sure you bring spending money. If you will be leaving with a parent I will need a signed note by that parent. While you are enjoying the rest of the parade, remember that you are still ambassadors of SGCHS and the band!
Approx 1:30 pm Report back to bus and depart Humboldt. I will have to attend the awards ceremony after the parade, so plan on reporting back to the bus about 30-40 min after the end of the parade.
2:00 pm Arrive back at SGCHS, unload instruments and uniforms.
Posted by SGCHS Hornet Band at 5:48 AM
Sunday, May 3, 2015
1) Great job at the Teapot Parade! You played amazing, you looked professional, and the crowd loved you. That's what it's all about!
2) Band Booster meeting this Thursday night at 6:30 pm.
3) Report time this Friday for the Strawberry Festival will be 7:45 am. A full itinerary will be posted tomorrow.
4) The Band Banquet will be held this Saturday at 6 pm in the SGCHS Cafeteria. Please get any last minute pictures to Tyler Delaney. Payment for guests needs to be in by this Thursday.
5) Leadership applications need to be turned in this week.
Posted by SGCHS Hornet Band at 4:13 PM
Monday, April 27, 2015
Trenton Teapot Festival Parade, Saturday, May 2, 2015
8:00 am Arrive at SGCHS Band Room. Load equipment on bus. Put on uniform pants, long black socks, and shoes. Wear shorts and T-shirt underneath. Put uniform jacket, hat, and gauntlets on bus.
8:20 am Depart South Gibson County High School.
8:50 am Arrive at Trenton. We will need to exit the buses quickly so the buses can move to the end of the parade route. Unload instruments quickly and put jackets, hats, and gauntlets on as you go to warm-up circle.
9:10 am Warm-up
9:40 am Line-up in parade form and wait to join the parade route.
Approx. 12:00 End of parade. Students will put instruments back in cases, put full uniform on the hangers, and then load the instruments on the bus. I will need to attend the Director’s meeting after the parade. You may get something to eat down on the parade route.
12:45 pm Depart Trenton.
1:15 pm Arrive at SGCHS Band room. Take the uniforms back to the storage room, then unload the instruments off the bus. No one is dismissed until all the instruments are in their correct place and the bus is cleaned out.
* If you are leaving with your parents after the parade is over, I will need a note signed by the parent.
Posted by SGCHS Hornet Band at 11:14 AM
Sunday, April 26, 2015
1) Afterschool rehearsal this Thursday from 3:30 to 5:00 for band and guard for the parades.
2) The Teapot parade will be this Saturday in Trenton. Report time will be 8 am at SGCHS. Full itinerary will be posted on Monday.
3) Be sure to come by the Band Room and sign up for the Band Banquet. We need a head count by the end of this week so the food can be prepared. Also, we need all pictures for the slide show turned in by Friday. Email them to Tyler at firstname.lastname@example.org
4) I just wanted to say what a great job the Band did at the Spring Concert Thursday! They showed so much maturity both emotionally and musically to play such difficult music as well as they did. Also, thanks to all the parents and audience members for their kind words and comments after the program. They are always appreciated!
Posted by SGCHS Hornet Band at 6:25 PM