Wednesday, March 5, 2014
Sunday, March 2, 2014
1) Solo and Ensemble Participants: Our allotted time on Saturday is from 9:20 am to 10 am. Try to get to Northside High School in Jackson by 9 am at the front entrance. I will be there to help you find where you are supposed to go. Remember to dress nicely since the judges can see you, and appearance is one of the judging captions.
2) Band Booster meeting this Thursday at 6:30 am in the Band Room.
3) Guard starts after school rehearsals this week. It will be every Tuesday and Thursday from 3:30 to 5:30. You will be learning the routine for the Spring Parades.
4) A huge shout out to the people who worked, and the Jazz Band that played at the Beauty pageant this weekend. Everyone did a great job, had great attitudes, and helped raise a lot of money for the band. Thank! You! (A special shout out to Anndrea Dyer for doing a flawless job of heading this event up this year!)
Posted by SGCHS Hornet Band at 6:25 PM
Monday, February 24, 2014
1) In the announcements, I asked for 21 oz cans. Oops, I meant 12 oz cans. Sorry!
2) I forgot to mention the second 8th grade rehearsal Tuesday (tomorrow) night from 6:30 to 8. This is for the Leadership team again, I will be inviting the full Band to the next 8th grade rehearsal in March.
Posted by SGCHS Hornet Band at 7:19 PM
Sunday, February 23, 2014
1) For the pageant this Saturday, if you are not in the Jazz Band, or if you are not signed up to help - I need you to bring drinks to sell for concessions. Please bring bottled water or regular 21 oz. cans of PEPSI products (Pepsi, Sierra Mist, Mountain Dew.) Since our school is under contract to sell only Pepsi products, we must stay under this arrangement when we do fundraisers. FYI: Dr. Pepper is not a Pepsi product under our contract.
2) This Saturday for the pageant, the Jazz Band needs to be ready to warm-up at 9:30 am. Concert attire. You will be fed lunch.
3) This concert has been moved to Monday night (tomorrow). It is still at 7 pm. Concert attire. Report time 6:30. Parents, during this particular concert I welcome you to step up close to the stage if you want to get a close up picture of an ensemble.
4) Students who signed up for Solo and Ensemble on March 8 need to get their money in if they have not yet, and remember you will need to find your own ride to Northside HS that day.
5) Remember, percussionists: Anyone interested in trying out for the drumline for next year is invited to stay for the clinic this Monday and Tuesday after school from 3:30 to 5:30, with the tryout on Thursday from 3:30 to 5:30. Will Kwasigroh will be attending the clinic and the audition.
Posted by SGCHS Hornet Band at 5:47 PM
Thursday, February 20, 2014
All school activities are cancelled for today, including the concert tonight. We will have to reschedule it for next Monday, February 24th at 7pm. I hate that I have to do this, because I am really excited about the music that the students have worked up and I would not want for scheduling conflicts on Monday to keep people from attending. Please find a way to make it to this great concert on Monday!
Posted by SGCHS Hornet Band at 11:02 AM
Monday, February 17, 2014
1) Butter Braids are due this week. Remember, percussion, that your section's goal was seven sales each.
2) Ensemble concert this Thursday at 7 pm. Report time 6:30. Concert attire. No jeans, tennis shoes or hats. Let's look professional! Once again, I am excited about one of our concerts. With the trumpet trio, some new challenging ensemble music, and all-star ensembles ready to play, this is going to be another great one!
3) I want to thank all the band members for treating Dr. Oelrich with respect and being so responsive to his suggestions last Thursday during class. He left saying good things about our program and you, the students.
Posted by SGCHS Hornet Band at 5:18 PM
Sunday, February 9, 2014
1) Keep selling those Butter Braid pastries! We have all of this week and half of next week to sell them. We need to get a good start on the upcoming year so that we can pay our bills in a timely fashion.
2) I need about 10 more students to sign up to help at the Miss Harmony Pageant on March 1. The signup sheet is in the Band Room.
3) We will be signing up for Solo and Ensemble this week for those who want to participate. This is a good opportunity to get some credentials toward future Honor Band and College applications. If you want to participate, it is March 8 at Northside High School, and is $10 per person per event.
4) Students need to be practicing extra hard outside of class these next two weeks! We are preparing for the Ensemble Concert next Thursday the 20th and preparing some very difficult Concert Festival music at the same time. And I want to have the Concert Festival music as good as possible by this Thursday so that we can receive some quality feedback from our special guest that day, UTM Director of Bands Dr. John Oelrich.
Posted by SGCHS Hornet Band at 6:00 PM