Sunday, November 15, 2015
1) We are assigned to work concessions at next Tuesday's Basketball game. The date is November 24. Report time would be 5 pm and we would be done around 9 pm. These concessions are much easier than the Football games and we only have to work three of them. I need two more parents and will be asking a couple of students to join me in working next Tuesday. Let me know if you can help out.
2) We will be having memorization tests over the parade music this week. Measures 1-24 will be due on Tuesday and Measures 25-44 will be due on Friday.
3) Jazz Band will meet tomorrow (Monday) from 3:30 to 4:30 after school.
Posted by SGCHS Hornet Band at 7:27 PM
Sunday, November 8, 2015
1) We will begin the transition to Christmas music this week. Chair Tryouts will be at the end of this week, and parade music will be passed out at the beginning of the week.
2) We will be performing at the Veteran's Day program in the high school gym at 1 pm. We will be playing the Star Spangled Banner and Procession of the Chosen. Please invite any Veterans that you know!
3) Jazz Band will start next Monday. It is open to anyone who wants to try it out. It meets every Monday after school from 3:30 to 4:30. We will work up one song for the Christmas Concert and go ahead and start looking at music for next year.
4) I need all Fruit and Yankee Candle orders by Friday. This is especially important for Yankee Candle as the representative explained at the Booster meeting that we are on the very edge of getting the items in before Christmas Break.
5) Parents, I want to thank you for all the wonderful support you have given the band this season. It is beyond words trying to explain the appreciation that the band has for all the work of the pit crew, the cheering crew in the stands, the parents who help fix uniforms and make sure we are all taken care of as we prepare for performances, the drivers, the loaders, and everyone in between. Thank you for being there for your kids. It means the world to them and to their directors!
Posted by SGCHS Hornet Band at 6:55 PM
Sunday, November 1, 2015
1) Make sure you get your $10 in for the charter bus to state. We still have plenty of seats available to family members who want to travel with us.
2) Our Annual Fruit sale will begin this week. 50% of profits will go toward individual Disney accounts. Even if you are not going on the trip, we need you to sell fruit for the Band Account. We are looking at getting a new trailer for next year to help with carrying our growing amounts of equipment.
3) We will also be starting an optional Yankee Candle fundraiser this week. 100% of profits will go toward individual Disney accounts. You will have 2 weeks to sell for each fundraiser.
4) Booster meeting this Thursday night at 6:30. We will be discussing Breakfast with Santa, the pros and cons of either a new trailer or a semi-truck for carrying equipment, and many other things.
5) Mr. Laster has graciously agreed to let us use his semi for this State competition this weekend. Plan to stay a little later this Thursday after practice in order to load all of the props and other equipment on the Semi. If staying a little later on Thursday doesn't sound good to you, then we can move to plan B which is to load the semi Friday night...
6) I just wanted to say again how proud I was of the band this past weekend! Through last second schedule changes, to performing in a downpour, to loading up the trailers in the same downpour, these students stayed professional and did their job without complaint. And did it well! I was already proud of them when it was announced that they got 2nd overall, and it was just icing on the cake when we found out that they had actually won the Grand Champion award!
Posted by SGCHS Hornet Band at 6:40 PM
Saturday, October 31, 2015
Itinerary for Division II State Championship
Stewart’s Creek High School, Smyrna, TN
Saturday, November 7th, 2015
6:00 am Band report to band room. Go to the restroom before we leave!
6:30 am Depart SGCHS. Make sure you have your hat box, gloves, long black socks and shoes.
9:00 am Arrive at Stewart’s Creek High School. Equipment will need to be unloaded.
Snacks will be provided. Use this time also to go ahead and start focusing on your musical and visual aspects of the performance. We must be at our best to make finals!
10:20 am Report to buses. Group stretch, Breathing exercises, and Fundamentals.
10:45 am Start putting on uniforms and getting instruments.
11:05 am Line-up and travel to warm-up.
11:15 am Warm- up. During this time there is to be no talking.
11:45 am Travel to Stadium. Keep your chin up and shoulders back the entire time. Do not talk. Focus on the upcoming performance.
12:00 noon Perform. Don’t try to do anything special, simply perform what you know.
12:15 pm Arrive back at bus. Change out of uniforms, put instruments in cases. At 4:00, the seniors will meet with the directors behind the home stands to go to the field.
4:15 pm Recognition of Judges, Announcements of Scholarship participants and Finalists.
4:45 pm Gather at the buses where you will be given the itinerary for the evening performance. .
7:00 pm Finals performances start. Finals performances are based on a random draw that we will not know the order of until 4:45.
10:00 pm Awards and Final placements. We will load the buses as soon as these are over.
11:30 pm Depart Stewart’s Creek High School.
2:00 am Arrive SGCHS. After everything is put up properly, we will be dismissed together.
Posted by SGCHS Hornet Band at 8:24 PM
Monday, October 26, 2015
Itinerary for Choctaw Classic (Dyer Co. Contest)
Saturday, October 31st, 2015
8:00 am Everyone report to band room.
8:30 am Depart SGCHS.
9:30 am Arrive at Dyer County High School. Loading crew will unload. You have this time to go in and watch bands. Do Not Travel Alone. Eat lunch while you are in the stadium.
11:45 am Report to buses. We will do the stretch routine, do breathing exercises and review through the visuals.
12:15 pm Put on uniforms, get instruments.
12:40 pm Line-up and travel to warm-up.
12:50 pm Warm- up. During this time there is to be no talking.
1:20 pm Travel to Stadium. Keep your chin up and shoulders back the entire time. Look proud!
1:30 pm Perform. Don’t try to do anything special, simply perform what you know.
1:45 pm Props and Front Ensemble will go back to the buses, and then come back inside. Everyone else will march to the endzone after our performance to wait for awards.
2:15 pm Awards Ceremony. We will clap and support everyone as the awards are handed out. There will be absolutely no booing or loud negative responses.
3:15 pm Depart Dyer County High School.
4:30 pm Arrive at SGCHS. Everyone will be dismissed once everything is put away properly.
Posted by SGCHS Hornet Band at 9:04 AM
Sunday, October 25, 2015
1) Report time for this Friday will be 5:00 pm. I want to try to leave the school by 5:30 because the traffic and parking for the Milan game is always hectic.
2) An itinerary for the Dyer County contest will be up tomorrow. Our performance time is 1:30 pm.
3) Please bring in your $10 for your seat on the charter bus to State. Remember that we will have more seats available for parents/siblings than a regular school bus.
4) Just a reminder that we have afterschool rehearsals on Tuesday and Thursday rain or shine.
Posted by SGCHS Hornet Band at 6:33 PM
Thursday, October 22, 2015
1) We are watching the storms and rain this Saturday closely. There are no changes to the schedule. The chance for storms has dropped and we will see if that continues into Saturday. If there are any changes to the schedule, I will let you know as soon as they are made.
2) Seniors will need to be on the Football Field at 6 pm in uniform with their parent/guardians.
3) This Friday, we will wear pink since we got rained out last time. Band students will wear their pink hats.
4) Also, this Friday night there will be a special 5th Quarter in the school Cafeteria just for the band! Mt. Zion church will be graciously bringing food to feed the band to reward them for all their hard work this year. This will happen immediately after the game and after we get out of uniforms. Everyone in the band is invited.
5) Remember to bring your $6 if you want to take advantage of the pizza and chili on Saturday.
Posted by SGCHS Hornet Band at 9:22 AM