Sunday, December 4, 2016
1) Jazz Band Rehearsal Tuesday from 3:30 to 4:30
2) Afterschool rehearsal Thursday from 3:30 to 5:15 for Band and Percussion to get ready for next week's concert.
3) Breakfast with Santa this Saturday. I will need a few student volunteers. Report time for workers will be 7 am on Saturday, we will be done by 11 am. For those not working at the event, you need to bring the following donations to the Band Room by Friday:
Woodwinds: Plastic knives, spoons, styrofoam and/or plastic cups.
Trumpets and French Horns: Quart sizes of White milk
Low Brass: Quart sizes of Orange Juice
Percussion: Quart sizes of Chocolate milk
Guard: Candy canes
Drum Majors: Parchment paper
4) All West Auditioners - You need to pay the $10 for the audition by Friday.
5) Our 2016 Christmas Concert will be next Monday, December 12 at 7 pm in the Gymnasium. Admission is free.
Posted by SGCHS Hornet Band at 12:26 PM
Sunday, November 27, 2016
1) Jazz Band Rehearsal on Tuesday from 3:30 to 4:30.
2) Afterschool Rehearsal for ALL Band, Percussion, and Guard members Thursday from 3:30 to 5 pm. This is the one rehearsal that we have before the parade. Everyone needs to be there.
3) Band Booster meeting this Thursday at 6:30 in the Band Room. We will be finalizing details for Breakfast with Santa and picking the dates for the Spring fundraisers.
4) Christmas Parade this Saturday. The Parade begins at 4 pm. We will not have a bus taking us to the parade, you will need to meet at the Lighthouse Church at 3 pm. You have two options: Take your uniform and horn home with you on Friday and meet us at the Lighthouse Church, or meet at the Elementary school to get your uniform and horn off the trailer then walk down to Lighthouse church.
Posted by SGCHS Hornet Band at 12:29 PM
Sunday, November 13, 2016
1) For those interested in playing in the Jazz Band, we will begin meeting on Mondays from 3:30 to 4:30 starting tomorrow. There are no extra fees or requirements for the Jazz Band, it's just a chance to expand your musical repertoire and play some fun music.
2) Remember that Fruit orders and Yankee Candle orders are both due this Thursday. We will need to get those orders in before Thanksgiving Break so the items can be delivered by Christmas Break.
Posted by SGCHS Hornet Band at 5:06 PM
Sunday, November 6, 2016
1) I want to thank everyone for a great marching season! Students and parents worked hard to make this a successful season, culminating in a 4th place finish at State. I know the hours and weekends that you put in this year, and I appreciate your commitment to this great program that represents SGC with class in everything we do!
2) We will be starting two fundraisers at the same time on Monday - the Fruit sale and the Yankee Candle sale. Both will start tomorrow and end on Nov. 17. We need to do well on these so that we can finish paying our bills from marching season and have a good start to the many things we will have to pay for over the next few months including instrument repairs, Guard flags for parades, new sticks and heads for percussion, and transportation for parades.
3) The Soccer team is selling Auto Decals for SGC sports teams, including a specially designed decal for the Marching Band. They are $5 and order forms can be picked up in the band room or in the school front office. Deadline for orders has been extended to Friday, November 11.
4) Chair placements for Christmas concert will be this Thursday and Friday. Tryout music will be passed out Monday. Make sure you have your concert instruments. Guard will begin preparing for the Christmas parade as well.
Posted by SGCHS Hornet Band at 9:41 AM
Tuesday, November 1, 2016
Itinerary for Division II State Championship
Stewart’s Creek High School, Smyrna, TN
Saturday, November 5th, 2016
4:15 am Band report to band room. Go to the restroom before we leave!
4:45 am Depart SGCHS. Make sure you have your hat box, gloves, long black socks and shoes.
7:15 am Arrive at Stewart’s Creek High School. Equipment will need to be unloaded. Pit trailers and props will be put together. Snacks will be provided. Use this time also to go ahead and start focusing on your musical and visual aspects of the performance. We must be at our best to make finals!
8:15 am Group stretch, Breathing exercises, and Fundamentals.
8:40 am Start putting on uniforms and getting instruments.
9:05 am Line-up and travel to warm-up.
9:15 am Warm- up. During this time there is to be no talking.
9:45 am Travel to Stadium. Keep your chin up and shoulders back the entire time. Do not talk. Focus on the upcoming performance.
10:00 am Perform. Don’t try to do anything special, simply perform what you know.
12:15 pm Arrive back at bus. Change out of uniforms, put instruments in cases. At 4:00, the seniors will meet with the directors behind the home stands to go to the field.
4:15 pm Recognition of Judges, Announcements of Scholarship participants and Finalists.
4:45 pm Gather at the buses where you will be given the itinerary for the evening performance. Finals performances are based on random draw. We will not know the order until 4:45.
7:00 pm Finals performances start.
10:00 pm Awards and Final placements. We will load the buses as soon as these are over.
11:30 pm Depart Stewart’s Creek High School.
2:00 am Arrive SGCHS. After everything is put up properly, we will be dismissed together.
Posted by SGCHS Hornet Band at 5:30 AM
Sunday, October 30, 2016
1) We are asking for water one more time for this coming week and weekend. I couldn't have imagined asking for water the week of State, but it's been a weird, hot fall.
2) For more information about the Division II State Championship competition, you can go to tnsmbc.com
3) Band Booster meeting this week. We will be discussing State, upcoming fundraisers, and Breakfast with Santa.
4) We will not be attending the football playoff game this Friday, nor will we have a Friday night rehearsal. Please get some rest and some sleep. We will need to be at school really early for a very long day on Saturday.
5) A full itinerary for State will be posted on Monday.
Posted by SGCHS Hornet Band at 12:28 PM
Monday, October 24, 2016
Itinerary for Choctaw Classic (Dyer Co. Contest)
Saturday, October 29th, 2016
12:00 noon Report to Practice field with instruments.
1:00 pm End Rehearsal. Load instruments and equipment, use restroom, eat snacks, load buses.
2:00 pm Depart SGCHS.
3:00 pm Arrive at Dyer County High School. Unload instruments. You have this time to go in and watch bands. Do Not Travel Alone. Don’t eat too much while you are in the stadium.
5:00 pm Put on uniforms, get instruments.
5:20 pm Line-up and travel to warm-up.
5:30 pm Warm- up. During this time there is to be no talking.
6:00 pm Travel to Stadium. Keep your chin up and shoulders back the entire time. Look proud!
6:15 pm Perform. Don’t try to do anything special, simply perform what you know.
6:30 pm Put instruments in cases. Properly fold and hang your uniforms. Leaders be at the field ready to go on for awards by 7:55.
8:00 pm Awards Ceremony. We will clap and support everyone as the awards are handed out. There will be absolutely no booing or loud negative responses.
9:30 pm Depart Dyer County High School.
10:30 pm Arrive at SGCHS. Everyone will be dismissed once everything is put away properly.
Posted by SGCHS Hornet Band at 8:54 AM